Most of my friends know that I am a compulsive smoker. Last night, while walking with Adrianne, I decided to just quit.
It’s not like it’s my first time, too. I tried to quit several times (two or three, I’m not sure) and I always go cold turkey mode. The longest I’ve managed without cigarettes is about a month or two, I think, but I always fail. This time, I’m gonna try a different approach: semi-cold turkey.
Let me point out that I do know and admit that I’m better off without smoking. I know that quitting has its benefits:
- General good health.
- It improves my well-being.
- I can breathe easier; I could taste food better.
- No more cigarette-stink on my breath and my clothes. Yellowish tooth- and nail-stains would be gone eventually, as well.
- I save a lot of money (and I do mean A LOT, trust me. I think I spend more or less P250 a week on cigarettes alone.
- I reduce the risk of heart attack and cancer.
- It’ll raise my chances of living a longer life.
So, why the hell not? I’ll try this one more time, but I won’t push myself too hard. Cold turkey makes me sick and I can’t afford to be sick now. So starting today (actually, it started last night) ’til the end of the week, I’ll limit myself to 2-3 sticks per day.
Uhhh… This may not be a nice ending to this blog post but I’m smoking a cigarette as I’m writing this now. Wait! Come on. This is the first.Cigarette. Stick. I’ve Ever. Smoked. Today.
So that means I didn’t smoke anything until after more than twelve hours (counting hours of sleep)! That’s quite an achievement for the first day, don’t you think?
Ha. Wish me luck.